29 December 2016

Poetry Thursday - two triolets by Thomas Hardy

by Emmanuel Ologeanu (via)

Birds at Winter Nightfall 

Around the house the flakes fly faster,
And all the berries now are gone
From holly and cotoneaster
Around the house. The flakes fly!--faster
Shutting indoors that crumb-outcaster
We used to see upon the lawn
Around the house. The flakes fly faster,
And all the berries now are gone!

(via; first heard on the Midwinter episode of Poetry Please)
The poem is a triolet - a poem of eight lines, typically of eight syllables each, rhyming abaaabab and so structured that the first line recurs as the fourth and seventh and the second as the eighth. Its appearance is deceptively simple. Hardy recognized the form's possibilities for melancholy and seriousness, using the repetition skillfully to mark a shift in the meaning of repeated lines, for instance, in How Great my Grief:
    How great my grief, my joys how few,
     Since first it was my fate to know thee!
     —Have the slow years not brought to view
     How great my grief, my joys how few,
     Not memory shaped old times anew,
        Nor loving-kindness helped to show thee
     How great my grief, my joys how few,
        Since first it was my fate to know thee?


No comments: