22 March 2017

In the counting-house

"The King was in the counting-house
Counting out his money,
The Queen was in the parlour
Eating bread and honey"
This morning my "one bag at a time" sortie into The Storeroom was an encounter with a heavy bag that turned out to contain a tin of old coins. I sorted them into little bags, which was fun (so many foreign coins, Brasil and Argentina and Russia and pre-EU countries) and was just thinking of where their "place" might be, when the thought arrived of some other places other coins could be lurking.

"A job worth doing ..." (you know the rest of that old saying) ... so my bowlful of coins came out of the drawer, but must wait, I need to go out for the rest of the day. So much for the good, finished job...

The sorted coins can join the bowl, back in the desk drawer. Tomorrow is Desk Day (it's on the calendar, two hours scheduled for Thursday mornings for the next few weeks, to get on top of the paperwork) and might well start with sorting that catch-all drawer. Though you might well call that ploy by its real name: procrastination.

What a lot of little things need keeping on top of. The King had it easy, in his counting house, gloating over his coins while his stewards did all the work!

2 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Thank you for spurring me on - we have accumulated over so many years so many caches of coins, not getting round to doing anything about them. On reading your post I vaguely remembered the collection of coins for charity, and found this online:
http://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/donate/other-ways-give/donate-your-spare-change
I have now found that just up the road there is a machine where I can put our caches to good use. Thanks.

patty a. said...

I have a pile of coins laying on an entry table and not even in a container. I need to get them cleaned up! Thanks for the post!